If you’re driving home for Christmas, then please ensure your car is in peak condition before making your journey.
We’re offering you free advice, so you can make sure your vehicle is roadworthy before travelling to see family and friends this year.
Breaking down during the Christmas period and having to wait to be recovered in the cold is no fun for anyone, so please check your vehicle before starting your journey.
We know this is a busy time of year, so it is easy to forget to inspect your car before travelling long distances. However, it is essential to do this to protect yourself, your passengers and other road users too.
We’re offering the following advice:
– Check the battery as one of the most common causes of a winter breakdown is battery failure. Batteries usually need replacing after five years.
– Make sure there is more fuel than you anticipate using for your journey in case of unexpected delays or diversions.
– Check the coolant level and if it is low top it up with a mixture of water and antifreeze. If you are unsure get a professional to check it and top it up as required.
– Inspect wiper blades for splits and damage and replace them if necessary.
– Check and clean the lights and keep spare bulbs in the car just in case
– Inspect tyres for damage such as splits or bulges and make sure to get them checked by a professional. Check the pressures every fortnight and for safe winter driving tyres should have at least 3mm of tread.
We also have a range of winter tyres available at our branches.
These tyres use a tread rubber compound and pattern specifically designed to retain flexibility in low temperatures. They give good braking performance on snow and ice, as well as on wet roads in cold conditions.